Physical Therapy Treatment of Headaches
Headaches can be one of the most common sources of daily pain. There are many different types of headaches and our physical therapists can help identify the type and cause. The most commonly treated types of headaches are tension, migraine, and cluster. While most headaches are harmless and resolve on their own, individuals can suffer from chronic headaches that can affect activities of daily living.
Causes of Headaches
There are many causes of headaches, but often they may be linked to a neck or jaw problem, muscle tension, poor posture, fatigue, or stress.
Your physical therapist will conduct a thorough examination that includes a review of your health history. They will ask you questions and perform tests to determine the most likely cause of your headaches.
In addition, your physical therapist will:
- Perform tests of muscle strength and sensation
- Examine your posture when sitting, standing, and performing various tasks
- Measure the range of motion of your neck, shoulders, and other relevant parts of your body
- Use manual therapy to evaluate the mobility of the joints and muscles in your neck
If it is found that your headaches may be related to a physical impairment, your physical therapist will work with you to correct the potential root cause of your headaches, teach you how to manage and prevent them from coming back by:
- Improving neck and joint mobility
- Improving strength and muscle imbalances
- Improving posture
- Reducing stress
- Improving workstation ergonomics
- Manual Therapy - our physical therapists are trained in manual therapy utilizing their hands improve joint and soft tissue mobility.
- Dry Needling - to alleviate muscle tension and trigger points.
- Exercise - to improve muscle strength and endurance in order to reinforce postural changes.
- Education - how to manage symptoms on your own, live a balanced lifestyle and promote health habits.
We Can Help
Trust the Best
Great bedside manner, professional, efficient and explained procedures where I could understand everything!
I've never felt more informed by a doctor Very personable!
We learned more in 5 minutes than we had learned in numerous visits to other doctors. Dr Harrod was kind and very informative. He spoke to us and not above us. I highly recommend Dr Harrod.
Knee #2 Trusted enough to get the 2nd one done! Great Doc and nice friendly knowledgeable staff.
Dr Donegan I didn't get a chance to say thanks for what you do. Can't wait to get back to 100% sir. Have a great day. Ron Hill. Thanks to your amazing staff and the Doc who woke me up.
For. Christendom is great. Spends time explains knee replacement surgery. His PA is equally great at explaining things.
Very thorough and took the time to answer all my questions.
Warm and friendly staff. They treat you like you are part of the family.
He is a excellent doctor.
One of the best spine surgeon in Lexington. He has helped many people by doing very effective surgeries. He cares about his patients. Very good kind doctor. Highly reccomend Dr. Lockstadt
Quickly diagnosed problem and took immediate action to correct problem.
Dr Favetto has now done 2 surgery’s on me. One on each thumb joint replacement. I would highly recommend Dr Favetto for any type of hand surgery. He is a great Dr and a great person.
I recently took my daughter there to see Dr. Favetto, needless to say, his staff-all the way from registration, to nurses/assistants and the doctor himself, were very kind and respectful.
Christina A Brown