Physical Therapy Treatment of Headaches
Headaches can be one of the most common sources of daily pain. There are many different types of headaches and our physical therapists can help identify the type and cause. The most commonly treated types of headaches are tension, migraine, and cluster. While most headaches are harmless and resolve on their own, individuals can suffer from chronic headaches that can affect activities of daily living.
Causes of Headaches
There are many causes of headaches, but often they may be linked to a neck or jaw problem, muscle tension, poor posture, fatigue, or stress.
Your physical therapist will conduct a thorough examination that includes a review of your health history. They will ask you questions and perform tests to determine the most likely cause of your headaches.
In addition, your physical therapist will:
- Perform tests of muscle strength and sensation
- Examine your posture when sitting, standing, and performing various tasks
- Measure the range of motion of your neck, shoulders, and other relevant parts of your body
- Use manual therapy to evaluate the mobility of the joints and muscles in your neck
If it is found that your headaches may be related to a physical impairment, your physical therapist will work with you to correct the potential root cause of your headaches, teach you how to manage and prevent them from coming back by:
- Improving neck and joint mobility
- Improving strength and muscle imbalances
- Improving posture
- Reducing stress
- Improving workstation ergonomics
- Manual Therapy - our physical therapists are trained in manual therapy utilizing their hands improve joint and soft tissue mobility.
- Dry Needling - to alleviate muscle tension and trigger points.
- Exercise - to improve muscle strength and endurance in order to reinforce postural changes.
- Education - how to manage symptoms on your own, live a balanced lifestyle and promote health habits.
We Can Help
Trust the Best
Wonderful! He really takes the time to offer his patients the best care. Would not consider anyone else for hip or knee. His skills are amazing, plus he really demonstrates that he wants his patients to get better!
Great care Excellent professional practices,, well pleased with my experience with Dr. O’Neill!
I was a walk in and was worked in and in a time manner. Dr. Harrod explained everything with clarity and I will have surgery in a few days.
love Dr. Vasicek she was great with my knees and the injections I received. 5******************************
Absolutely love Dr. Hunt. He is a great surgeon and very kind and personable. I would highly recommend him to anyone needing surgery or just orthopedic care.
Saw Dr. Donegan's PA - same day appointment. He was able to diagnose me quickly and I have hope that I will be pain-free after PT.
Cannot say enough about this wonderful doctor. Explains everything, tells you all possible scenarios, listens and understands the fears we can get. Amazing results. I would recommend bgo to any one 100%. Thanks Doc!
Great people, employees, PA's and doctors. Never have to wait long to get in. They certainly have helped me.
Darlene Grant Snyder
After reviewing more conservative options, my surgery and recovery went very smoothly. Dr. and staff were always prompt and on time for all office visits.
Dr. Harrod took time to talk to me and listen to what I had to say. He is knowledgeable and experienced. I will definitely return for future assistance.